This site is a preview of the curriculum for our Summer 2018 bootcamp in Burlington, Vermont. As we continue our preparation, courses and lessons will appear and disappear; we will rename, rearrange, clarify, and obfuscate as needed... Please consider this a work in progress and keep checking in.
Introduction to Ruby
Taught by Alex Chaffee
these slides are available at http://codelikethis.com/lessons
- We use tests to check for code correctness
- We use tests to define the task to implement
- We know we're done when the tests pass
Conceived by Sarah Allen and Alex Chaffee
Let's get started
Install Ruby, e.g.
then open a terminal window and type this:
git clone https://github.com/alexch/learn_ruby.git cd learn_ruby
index.html in a browser
Very Important Tips!
Arrange Your Windows
- Keep your console window open
- Make your console window REALLY TALL
- Don't overlap your windows
READ THE ERROR
- This is actually very difficult to do consistently and accurately
- When you get an error, SCROLL UP and read down STARTING from where YOU HIT RETURN
- It's not all incomprehensible gibberish -- the computer is trying to tell you something, and it's your job to decipher it